When I was thinking about this prompt, my "stripe collection" popped into my head. It seems I have a thing for striped shirts. I don't purposely go shopping to buy stripes, it just happens.
When I was younger I collected post cards like a fiend. I bugged everyone I knew and asked them to send me a post card from wherever they travelled...or from wherever they lived at the time...or...or free post cards they found in magazines or at the doctor's office or the free ones from budget hotels...you get the point. ANY post card. I proudly tacked them up on my bedroom wall (along with my Bop and Tiger Beat posters of New Kids on the Block, Corey Haim, Troy Aikman and the likes). I didn't collect a particular genre like cityscapes or food - I was happy with anything.
Deltiology - is the study and collection of post cards.
Once I moved away from home I took them all down and packed them in my cedar chest where they've remained for the past 15 years. I have continued to collect, just not as wildly. When we go somewhere new, fun or exciting I buy at least three postcards - one for each of the kids' baby books and one for me. If someone else is going somewhere and I remember I'll ask them to send me one.
I pulled a handful from my cedar chest this morning for this photo opportunity.
And from that pile (which is just a small sampling) I pulled a few favorites.
L to R:
1. Happy New Year from Around the World - from my junior high Japanese pen pal. Hi Masako!
2. Man ballerina, black and white - from a dear friend who supported my post card habit!
3. Hedgehog by Anne Geddes - loved the message on the back from another dear friend: "Nothing new here - just work and run around and never clean my house, oh well!"
4. This was a post card I picked up advertising a free lecture series at the college I attended, but I sent it home to my parents. I wrote very random blurbs all over the back between the lecture info, like "big hair-->" (pointing to the lecturer) and "I broke the zipper on my Guess jeans...AGAIN!" Freshman 15, anyone?
5. I was a HUGE Friends fan. This one was of Joey and Phoebe.
Phoebe, what do you think a good stage name for me would be? --Joey
6. The last one with the tortellini salad recipe on the front was from my vehicle service department reminding me I had a service appointment coming up. Ummmm, OK.
What do you collect? Snap a picture and head over to Adventuroo to link up and Capture the Everyday!